QTC+ Nixie Clock Kit
Launching our NEW IMPROVED QTC Kit - QTC+
QTC+ takes a new path for Nixie Clocks for mid-sized solder-in tubes.
Learning from our past experiences of thousands of kits sold, we recognise a major customer concern and possibly the biggest drawback with solder-in tubes: They are soldered in!
What's new on the QTC+?
- Matte Black PCB with Gold pads
- Reduced component count for RGB LEDs
- Simpler Anode Drivers, with socketed Optoisolators, for easier assembly and troubleshooting
- Double dot colon neons, with many more modes
- Support for our XTERNA Wireless Time and Temperature Transmitter
Previously, a failed tube always meant a treacherous operation to delicately remove the tube whilst trying to preserve all traces intact. Whilst this was certainly possible, It was never easy, and made it uncomfortable to give a Nixe Clock as a gift in case a tube ever failed. With the QTC system (‘Quick Tube Change’), each tube is soldered only to its own mini ‘tube cell’ PCB. A tube can be changed in minutes with no danger to the main PCB. The small addition in cost is dwarfed by the huge advantage this gives. A single main board is capable of driving tens of different types of solder-in Nixie Tube. You can even completely change the tube type of your clock by installing new tube cells and tubes.
Hex standoffs not included. If you buy one of our cases, all hardware is included anyway. If you are making your own case and need some standoffs, we have several sizes here.
- Hours, Minutes and Seconds display on six tubes
- Uses a Quartz Crystal Oscillator as the timebase
- 12 or 24 hour modes
- Programmable leading zero blanking
- Date display in either DD.MM.YY or MM.DD.YY or YY.MM.DD format
- Programmable date display each minute
- Scrolling display of date or standard display
- Alarm, with programmable snooze period
- Optional GPS / WiFi / XTERNA synchronisation with status indicator LED
- Dedicated DST button to switch between DST and standard time
- Supercapacitor backup. Keeps time during short power outages
- Simple time setting using two buttons
- Configurable for leading zero blanking
- Double dot colon neon lamps
- 11 colon neon modes including AM / PM indication (top / bottom or left / right), railroad (slow or fast) etc.
- Seconds can be reset to zero to precisely the set time
- Programmable night mode - blanked or dimmed display to save tubes or prevent sleep disturbance
- Rear Indicator LEDs dim at night to prevent sleep disturbance
- Weekday aware ‘Master Blank’ function to turn off tubes and LEDs on weekends or during working hours
- Separate modes for colon neons during night mode
- Standard, fading, or crossfading with scrollback display modes
- ‘Slot Machine’ Cathode poisoning prevention routine
- Programmable RGB tube lighting – select your favourite colour palette
- 729 colours possible. Have a different colour or your choosing every hour, or autochanging colours
- Not AC frequency dependent – works in all countries
- All user preferences stored to non-volatile memory
Additional wireless functions if XTERNA module used:
- Display of outdoor temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit.
- Min / Max temperature in last 24 hours
- Wireless, Auto Sync of time from GPS with auxilliary TCXO
- GPS Sync time, and time since last GPS Fix
- Voltage of XTERNA module battery
The former K155ID1 / 74141 nixie driver IC is now replaced by a modern HV5812 High Voltage Driver IC by Supertex. With 20 outputs, it is able to drive the six Nixie Tubes in a very comfortable and low noise 3X2 multiplex.
The following electronic components are provided, including:
6 X Tube cell components for mounting the tubes
All transistors, resistors, capacitors, ICs, diodes
4 X Neon bulbs for hours:minutes:seconds separators
Double sided, plated - through - hole PCB with black solder resist
Fully pre-programmed PIC microcontroller, with socket
RGB LED Tube Lighting Pack
6 Nixie Tubes (If ordered with tubes)
1 Power Supply (If ordered with power supply)
You will need a 1A 12V DC Power Adapter.
Download Kit Assembly Instructions Here